Monday, May 14, 2007

These times we live in...



This may get deep...then again it may not. I'm not that talented after all lol.

Many of you who read this blog are my friends, and thus know a bit about my life. However, in the rare event there is someone out there reading who does NOT know me (lucky you!), I'll touch on a couple of points relevant to this post.

1)I'm a Christian
2)I'm a Conservative (duh)
3)I'm an Army veteran, and was deployed in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and (briefly) Iraq during the first Gulf War
4)My stepson (from my first marriage) is currently a soldier serving in Baghdad (please pray for Daniel)

Today, while working in the Money Center, I had a customer with an accent come in and request the form to send a money transfer. He only spoke a few words, so I only caught the briefest hint of an accent...certainly not enough to place that accent. I assumed he was hispanic by his coloring, and he laughed at that and said most people thought that, and that it was preferable to the hatred he expects to encounter. I looked at him questioningly, and he told me he was an Arab. "Asalam allaikum" (I know, I butchered that spelling) I then told him. His expression brightened, and he returned the greeting. I told him that while I was stationed overseas in the first Gulf War, I spoke almost fluent Arabic, but because I hadn't used it in 16 years, I'd lost all but a couple phrases.

As the transaction was concluded, he brought up the war in Iraq. I knew I was treading on dangerous ground, but told him about Daniel, and how worried I am because of the recent ambush and kidnappings. His responses really made me look at this situation in a different light. He said that probably 90% of the Arab world (he was Egyptian by the way) was 100% on our side about the removal of Saddam and the termination of his regime. However, they want us to leave NOW. THEY feel like the US came in not to oust Saddam, but to stay, to make ourselves benefit from the rich Iraqi oilfields. He also said that his heart bled on September 11, but that he came to America because he desired to, he was lured by the freedoms and the promises. He said that he would love to stay here, but as soon as he makes enough money to pay his children's ways through university, he's going back "home" because he feels safer there. His eyes teared up as he talked about my great country. His love for his adopted country (he's a naturalized citizen by the way) was very evident to me.

Why do I mention this? Why do I think it deserves its own post on a blog that is really nothing more than a glorified diary of an ordinary redneck woman's life?

When the first bombs fell on Baghdad back in 2003, I looked at my husband, with tears in my eyes, and said "This is the worst mistake Bush will ever make." I spent 9 months in that region. I learned the language fluently enough that I was able to converse with civilians EVERYWHERE I went. I feel like I have a basic understanding of the culture and the mentality over there. I feel like we're in a war we can't win because its a Holy Jihad situation, and heck, who can compete with a gaggle of virgins at Allah's side?? I firmly believed that the resistance would never end, and pulling out now would be a huge mistake.

Part of me still feels that way. Another part of me now questions more than I did when I woke up this morning. This guy asked how I'd feel if a Muslim came into my neighborhood, killed the snakes that were infesting it, and then refused to leave, and tried to convert everyone to Islam? He said I'd be thrilled that the snakes were gone, but would resent being "encouraged" to change my religion, my culture, my daily life. You know what? He's sure as heck right. I never was convinced that Iraq could operate as a "true democracy"...but then America isn't a TRUE democracy.

This guy (I won't name him) and I talked for almost an hour, in between customers and while I swept and gathered the trash. I truly enjoyed the conversation. We talked about American fears, Arabic fears, the changes that have been made, and changes that probably should be made. He understands the need to secure our borders, and even for racial profiling. What he hates is the contempt and fear he's presented with on a daily basis. He doesn't hate America...but listening to our news and politicians, as well as the foreign media and political figures, he truly believes that America is in Iraq for...OIL. He thinks America will never leave, because of OIL. Oh I'm sure the oil plays a part...I'm not naive. If we leave however and the country falls into worse chaos, the oil prices WILL suffer. Iraq has a huge supply of the stuff. I do want to believe though that oil is not the only reason we're there.

He also said that we could pull out tomorrow, and a large percentage of the population fighting against us in Iraq WILL come here to continue the fight. That's the Holy Jihad part. He agreed that we're in a difficult situation. He appeared truly saddened by this fact.

This man has changed...something...in me today. I see a different element to the fighting...and its justified my thoughts that we're better off "fighting them over there than here at home." Its reinforced in my mind that this is truly a case of having no way out. Its no longer a case of "crazy Islamic extremists" in my mind...its more a case of hard-working, decent people trying to defend their "neighborhood" and their traditions and beliefs...in error, in my opinion, but when you look at what the media is putting out there, can you truly blame them for their misconceptions?

He sends money regularly, so I'm sure I'll see him again, and I look forward to the discussion. I'll continue to pray for our soldiers and the Iraq situation, and fervently pray that a "good" solution will become evident. I know that God does things in HIS time, not ours, and that there are reasons behind the events of the day. I endeavor to wait on Him...but it sure is hard to do for an impulsive, impatient crackpot like me :)

No comments: