Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Security of Our Borders



I'm really really tired, so won't get into this very much and most likely won't make a lick of sense...but here goes.

I was on my way home today, and while listening to the radio, one of my favorite "drive time" talk shows was on...Matt Friederman on WAOY, the Christian Radio station in the AFR network in Mississippi. They were talking about our security, our borders, illegal immigrants, and amnesty.

Playing off a few of their comments, I really started thinking about my experiences with immigrants lately. Working in the Money Center, MOST of my customers who wire money speak little to no English. I've seriously considered attempting to learn Spanish just so I can communicate with them a little more effectively.

So anyway. Just a few short months ago, I was of the opinion that we didn't need immigration, that it harmed us...took jobs...etc. Now...I don't see things quite so black and white. I can see more pros than cons...I like the idea of someone coming to my country to make a living for their family, or to better their lives...I don't like to think of anyone living in poverty or neglect. But...all Mexicans, for instance, can't be living in terrible conditions...can they? I mean...come on...is it just the lure of more money? I can understand that.

Amnesty. I think IF Amnesty is given, the people applying should have NO advantages over new applicants for visas. Maybe the answer can be to give out a HUGE number of visas and student visas...but really attempt to document these guys. Shutting the border may not be the best option after all...but can we really afford to do anything else? If we allowed "anyone" to live and work in our country as long as they were well-documented, I'm sure that more terrorists would leak through. I'm not naive though...I think we have a huge risk from people who have immigrated here years, even decades ago...gained citizenship, and now are working deep cover.

When I worry about my country's security, it isn't hispanics I'm worried about...it isn't any *specific* country...its the fear of the unknown slipping through our very open borders. What worries me almost as much is the fear of becoming completely shut down...much like the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. Very difficult to traven into our country...difficult to travel out of it as well.

We're a country founded on freedom...do we want to lose even more of our freedoms? I WANT us to be secure...I want us to be safe...I do not want my safe haven to be behind concrete and steel walls however.

What is the solution? IS there a solution?

No comments: